Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Happy Fourth



Luke, Noah, Grace (she really is having fun, honest), Sophie and I parading

I love Fourth of July! To be honest, I really love holidays in general, but the Fourth is fun, fun, fun. We went to a parade and festival in downtown Greensboro. The parade was fun, much smaller then I am used to.

There were some striking differences to a Utah parade. Interestingly there was not a single horse and only 1 beauty queen. There were several entries of Revolutionary War Soldiers and colonial reaenactors that gave the celebration great historical flavor. The campaigning politicians were there but also people protesting/politicking for local social issues. No better way to celebrate the freedom of our country then by letting your voice be heard.

This was my favorite part of the parade.





If you are wondering what this is, so was I! At first we thought maybe these cars were advertising for a demolition derby. But the kind people next to us told us they are dirt track race cars. The people in them were hilarious, no waves, smiles or Happy Fourth of July. Just driving down the parade route. The red shirt one guy has one says, "Purpose?" hand painted. I laughed so hard I could take pictures of most of them.

By the way, one of Jason's colleagues told him that her pastor had preached the previous Sunday about how great Utah's Fourth of July celebrations were, that they were the most patriotic she had ever been too, etc.






Happy Fourth of July!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love Utah fourth of July's!!! I missed the Provo festivities, but DC was fun!

Anonymous said...

Our family has a great celebration on the 4th of July with early morning breakfast at the park followed by a parade and then a nap!! Then bar b q at Vaughn's parents and a customized Vaughn fireworks show!!! I am sure you remember that!! I love seeing your photos!! You have an awesome family!!

Emilee said...

Awesome. Ben and I started a new tradition of going to the Oakley rodeo for the 4th. But if I ever get the chance to drive a white trash car in a parade, I will take it.