Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Cold Hearted Snake

What do a stick, a piece of trash, a bunch of leaves, a tree root, a piece of tire all have in common? At 6 o'clock in the morning while running they all look like a copperhead snake just waiting to sink it's fangs into my juicy, mosquito bitten leg. This is the land of snakes and bugs and it makes me so uncomfortable to not know anything about the local deadly animals. My running companions tell me that copperheads have a triangle shaped head. Other wise they look similar to the other 290 kinds of snakes that live in North Carolina. I don't think I will be pausing to look closely at anything that can kill me, if not by venom, then by fear. I am working really hard to keep my fear of snakes rational so I can keep enjoying running. My favorite trail was snake-free until just a little while ago. My friend was running there alone and saw a small copperhead. She is not paranoid like me and stopped to take a good look. I guess they are not aggressive snakes unless you scare them, like if you were running and just happened upon one. The really yucky thing, copperheads live in nests all cozied up together!!!!! So if you see one, you can bet his lovely family is close at hand. I am freaking myself out now, so I am going to stop. Just for the record, I saw the hugest, biggest, ugliest spider I have ever seen (besides a tarantula) this morning ON MY FRONT DOOR.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Yuck, yuck and yuck!! I hate snakes and spiders. Did you ever know that there is a white widow? Similar to a black widow, but white and creepy and all over the place at the Fairbank's cabin - ick!!

Shena said...

I'm with you girl! SNAKES-- WHEW!!!! Welcome to the south I would say. This is Shena BTW. I came across your blog somehow. I can't remember how I stumbled upon it. Way cute!

Anonymous said...

Jen,

I understand. While running towards Black Mountain this spring, I came across the biggest rattlesnake I have ever seen in my life! Immediately afterwards I almost stepped on tow gopher snakes that were on the trail in various spots. I hate gopher snakes because they look like rattlesnakes but they freeze in place when scared!! So when running you almost step on them before you realize they do not have fangs! I have not been on that trail since.

Marni

Katydid said...

Jen, I remember you getting very cosy with a "rattler" in city creek. I tell the story to people all the time! You are braver than you think.