My friend Michelle recently moved to Saudi Arabia with her husband and 3 boys. She posts all about their latest adventures in learning about Arabic culture on her blog this weekend. I had to laugh because my post for the weekend is also about a new adventure I had in experiencing an important part of Southern culture. For the first time I deep fried something. Not just a little oil in the bottom of the pan to keep things from sticking, but 4 inches of artery clogging, cholesterol raising, delicious making oil. I made hush puppies for our Sunday dinner. I felt adventurous as I entered this new world of hot greasy food. It is not a myth that some Southerners fry everything. You really can get anything you can think of fried here. I learned that deep frying makes an enormous mess, is dangerous and hard to do. The oil kept getting too hot, then too cold, and it splattered everywhere. I had to add oil 3 times as I was frying because the hush puppies were soaking it all up. Mmmm...how delicious is that? They turned out great, but don't think I will be making them again soon. Well, unless I decide to totally convert to Southern, go to Wal-Mart and pick myself up a deep fryer.

PS - Hush puppies are basically fried cornbread with onions, a little sugar and a lot of grease.
4 comments:
They sound WONDERFUL!!
YUM! I just got rid of a deep fryer that has been sitting at my house for years and never been used. Should have thought of you! ha .
Glad you got to play in the snow a bit!
To answer your question, I'm sure a feeding tube does hurt. It for sure hurts when it goes in - if you can imagine something being stuck through your nose to your stomach. It irritates the throat and nose going in. I'm told that it clears up quickly (The irritation) and that they get used to it. But also you have to switch it to the other side at least every 7 days so it does not cause infection problems and such. I guess the question is - what's worse? The tube or starving to death? I think Clark is happier with the tube!
Those look way good. I love to eat fried food but refuse to make it for all the same reasons. Plus I hate the smell in my house.
Just a question, is that a pic from YOUR cooking or a fancy clip somewhere else..it looks real good. That sounds rude, but it might make you laugh. Fry some bologna next time.
Post a Comment