Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Free Willy


Yesterday after watching the movie Free Willy, Grace came downstairs and asked me how she could save the orcas. I talked with her a little about keeping the environment clean and being stewards of the earth but she just wouldn't let the idea go. She was really concerned. I let her and Sophie watch a show on Animal Planet earlier in the week and they saw a commercial of a reality show were activists confront whaling ships. I felt bad because she loves animals so much and was so worried about whales being captured and killed. We talked about if 2 or 3 more times and she just kept coming back and asking me how she could save the whales. I finally just did what I should have in the first place and asked her what she wanted to do to help. Grace promptly went and got the art box and started making signs to put up at the beach. She colored about 17 and asked me to add "No catching or killing Orcas!" Sophie joined in with 20 or so more and did her own writing with the slash symbol.

They were both so earnest. I was humbled and thought about how many times I am upset about a wrong in our world and do nothing but complain, judge or wish someone would do something. My daughters this week gave me a great example of the power of one. What would our world be like if we all took action more often?

3 comments:

The Kroebers said...

That is really sweet. Sophie's writing is great too.

Lindsey said...

What awesome kids you have!!! You should see if you can't send some of the pictures to some foundation or organization as well.

Katydid said...

You're starting them young! Good work.