Monday, July 27, 2009

Shop till you Drop


B.K. (before kids) I loved to thrift shop. There is nothing to match the thrill of finding something you want/need for just a few bucks after searching through the junk at a thrift store. Unfortunately, second hand stores are not designed with the mother of young kids in mind. My double stroller won't fit through the aisles and the shopping carts (if they have them) are tiny and really can't handle 2 kids at a time. But I decided to be exceedingly brave last week and go to Goodwill with Luke and Noah while the girls were in dance class. I had a mission to find a pioneer outfit for our ward party that required absolutely no sewing by mom.

My brave mood quickly disappeared as Luke screamed and cried almost constantly. He and Noah were crawling through the racks of clothes on the nasty floor and grabbing anything they could. Luke dropped a picture frame on his foot and screamed like his arm had just been amputated. As I was trying to comfort/shut him up this lady poked her head around the aisle to get a peak at the carnage and the look on her face should have made me laugh, but instead I wanted to say something really rude. Of course, being a saint, I didn't.

We finally made it up to the check out and Noah pulled the entire shopping cart over on top of him. You would think someone would want to help but mostly everyone just looked appalled at the behavior of my kids and the craziness of any mother who would try to shop with twin 2 1/2 year-olds. Noah calmed down and Luke touched every glass thing in the store without breaking any of them. So...success. Kind of.

My loot: an adorable pioneer dress in Grace's favorite color, a brand new pair of curtains that perfectly match my boys bedroom and a hardwood stool/storage bench that needs a new coat of paint. All for $15. Was it worth it? I'll let you know in 3 years or so when I finally get to repainting the stool.

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Sounds like an adventure, the girls look cute though!

Polly said...

Jen, you are one of the bravest women I know!!!

The Kroebers said...

I had a similar experience today. It didn't take me long to remember why I never take my kids to the library. I can also say that I won't be taking Isaac to the library again for a LONG time.

The Kroebers said...

Oh, and I was laughing out loud as I read this. I'm glad that you got some awesome deals though.

EM said...

I hope that people who give you mean looks get to take care of toddlers someday. It's a miracle any kid survives being a kid.