I have had some interesting experiences in these past few days facing up to my personal biases. The first happened when my in-laws came home telling me about a blue grass concert they saw advertised at the local hardware store. They know I love bluegrass and I was all in, until I looked closer and saw that it was being sponsored by a local "sportsman's wildlife" club. We live in rural North Carolina. I started worrying that our money would be supporting the local white supremacists militia or that we would get there and it would be an unspoken "locals only" thing. This has happened to me here, there is a certain restaurant and gas station I don't frequent because it feels so uncomfortable. We just don't fit in very well with the southern rural hunter types here.
As we were getting ready to go I told Jason that if we got there and it looked the least bit sketchy we wouldn't park, just turn around and leave. So we get there and it is this beautiful 40 acre park complete with private lake. The club is not a hunting club but actually a wildlife club. They do things like donate bluebird houses to local schools, funds scholarships and work to protect habitat for local wildlife. The music was GREAT and the people gracious and so kind. Mostly they were several decades older then us and my anti-sunscreen-wearing nephew was the darkest person there, but it was loads of fun.
My other experience happened last night. I was on the way to our church for a fireside sponsored by the multi-cultural committee in our stake. I have to admit that I was a bit worried I would be the only caucasian there and not feel comfortable. Brought back memories of what it felt like to walk into a large school of Black students and teachers for several months looking different than everyone else. The meeting was good and full of all colors of people. It got me thinking though about how it feels when you look different from the majority and how many members of our church are faithful in the face of prejudice and adversity, and how many have fallen by the wayside. What is my one little "uncomfortable" worry placed next to a lifetime of struggle to remain active and faithful in a church that is so different from your culture and language and what you know?
We all have a long way to go in this human journey to see everyone as the Lord does. This week I learned to not let my personal biases and stereotypes remain unchallenged. We are human and not perfect. Be brave and test yourself, you never know what you will find you are missing.
2 comments:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, you always articulate your thoughts so well. I miss talking to you!!! Love you!
Amen, amen. Thanks for thinking.
Post a Comment