Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Grins and Gripes-Second Edition

Grins
It has been quite an experience watching the teenagers at our neighborhood pool this summer. I have had more then enough of loud, rude boys and adolescent girls flirting with them and strutting around in tiny bikinis. It just all seems so sexual and crass at such young ages. This weekend we were at the pool as a family when a group of girls asked me to open the gate for them. I let them in, I didn't recognize any of them and hoped they really did live in our neighborhood and that they would not start acting horribly.
These 3 girls looked to be probably 14 or 15. They were darling, looked like they could be cheerleaders at their school. They put their stuff down, jumped right in the pool and, get this, started playing together! They made up this game where one of them would say a category and one of the others would have to answer with a list that fit or they would get dunked. The categories I heard where things like "Cash crops of the the South" and "Complex Carbohydrates". REALLY. My faith in teenagers and humanity has been somewhat restored.

Gripes
I hate the bugs here! I have a small trash can in my garage for dirty diapers. It is small on purpose so it has to be emptied every other day or so. Last week I picked it up to dump it and put my hand right into a super sticky spider web complete with spider and egg sack! Spider incidents happen often here and I try to repeatedly tell myself that spiders really don't bother me. Then when I dumped the can, the inside was covered with maggots. How sick is that! It was hours before Jason would be home, so I pretended to be tough and made myself take care of the situation. As I was cleaning it out I also discovered a small wasp nest at the bottom, luckily minus any wasps.
Picture is just because. I love it.

2 comments:

Polly said...

Jen, I'm so glad your faith in humanity or at least teenagers was restored before your bug incidents!! I HATE bugs and in a matter of less than a minute you had to deal with three of the WORST!! You are brave!!! I would have thrown up and then Jason would have had even more to clean up!!!

Lindsey said...

You are brave and yeah for well-mannered teenagers!!!