Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Mantras of Calm

When I was growing up my Mom used to sing Love At Home when my siblings and I were fighting and arguing. It drove me crazy and to this day I still don't like that hymn. Well, I had an epiphany yesterday. I have a few "go to songs" that I use when I am surrounded by utter chaos. Ever since the girls were first born I have sung The Lord is My Shepherd or Ooh Child to help me keep sane. (Yes, Ooh Child is somewhat cheesy and MoTab will never perform it. But I like it, especially Beth Orton's version.)This really works for me. When my kids are crying/arguing/throwing a tantrum etc. I sing to myself and by extension, them. It keeps me mostly patient and somewhat focused as I work on fixing whatever is going on around me. Yesterday as I dealt with a whining 2 year old who was determined to continue fighting with his brother instead of having a disaster of a diaper changed, what did I start to sing? Low and behold, it was Love At Home. It was nice. And calming. Maybe my Mom never was singing to my siblings and I. Maybe she was just singing herself sane and hoping we would come along for the ride.

5 comments:

The Kroebers said...

I realized that you sang hymns in times of chaos when I was there. I can honestly say that I don't really remember mom singing a lot when I was growing up, maybe it had worn out it's usefulness by the time I got around. But I sometimes start to sing a hymn myself and always think of you when I do. So thanks for teaching me your mantra of calm.

EM said...

I used to scream into a pillow when I needed to get my frustrations out. I think singing softly is a much better way to cope now :)

Lindsey said...

That is great Jen! I always find myself humming to myself the song that mom hums (hummed) to herself while doing housework - I think it is called "Truth Reflects Upon Our Senses" and that always calms me. I love it!

Polly said...

I am going to try this in Kindergarten!!! Thanks Jen!! I still don't like "Let Us Oft Speak Kind Words to Each Other" for the same reason!! Sorry Mom!!

Cyndie said...

My mom was a "Let Us All Speak Kind Words" mom, too. I haven't picked my poison, yet.