I needed some soul comfort this week (no big reason, just needed it) and revisited a beloved book. I picked up The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley and was in bliss. McKinley's early writing is wonderful. I felt like I had visited an old friend for some needed fun and relaxation. When I was done reading I jumped online to McKinley's website and was excited to see that she has a blog. I promptly added her to my blog list and felt like I had made a connection to a valued friend. Then I started to read the blog. I hated it! Her blog voice is not at all my idea of who my beloved author should be. Unfair of me, and a little naive, yes. Robin McKinley can be, and write, whatever she chooses. I am disappointed though.
Also this week I also happened to listen to part of radio interview with Salman Rushdie. I have never been remotely interested in his writing. He was being interviewed about new young adult book he had written. Rushdie was full of humor, down to earth, a little self deprecating and just interesting in a very appealing way. I am going to read his book. I hope I like it. The joy of reading an excellent, new book is one of the great pleasures of life. Regardless, I was reminded once again to be open to new ideas and possibilities. You just never know what you will find...
1 comment:
I am going to put both of those on my to read list. Its funny how things turn out that way, isn't it? I have had similar experiences.
Wish I was there to come over with some hot cocoa and sit and chat - that would fill me right up!
Post a Comment