This weekend we watched Toy Story 3 as a family. As I watched this cute movie about a little boy, now almost grown up, and his beloved toys, I thought about my kids. Toys really are not very beloved in our home. We have blankets that are adored and slept with, but none of my 4 kids has ever really bonded to one toy. I was thinking about this and why as I watched the movie.
Honesty, I was feeling a little bad. Were my kids missing out on an important part of childhood? They do play with toys, just not a lot and with little emotional attachments. What I realized is that my kids have always had flesh and blood play mates. There has always been a sister or a brother for each of my kids to play with. I think maybe they haven't needed toys as much because they have each other. I felt a brief lightening of parental guilt and had to ask why we beat ourselves up as parents so much. Then I smiled as I watched them play doggie day care with the laundry baskets.
4 comments:
This picture is beyond cute! I love it. I don't really remember any special toys growing up either. Maybe it's because things didn't last long so I couldn't get too attached. I won a goldfish in 1st grade and Sammy knocked over it's bowl like 2 days later and it died. Katie ripped the leg off of my pound puppy. She felt bad later and sewed it back on. Siblings are just more fun than toys.
I think it's far more important to have attachments to siblings rather that toys. Your kiddos know that people are more important than things.
Okay, this is just about the cutest picture ever that captures your kids personalities so well!!! Grace with the sunglasses cracks me up! I miss you guys! I too don't remember having that much of an attachment to toys, I had a doll once that everyone said looked like an alien and made fun of it and pushed its head in until eventually it stayed dented. I'm a little bit emotionally scarred from it, but other than that - nothing!! :) Just kidding, but I did like the doll but no major attachment.
Sorry about your alien doll Lin!!
Post a Comment