Friday, January 28, 2011

What?!

Conversation with Luke at breakfast:
L     Mom, what is a virgin?
M   What do you mean? ( Mentally asking self, where in the world did he hear the word virgin? It is not         Christmas, no one has sang Silent Night for quite a while. Does this have anything to do with Sophie's sex questions asked last week in the car while driving home?)
L     Virgin. Like Sophie's picture.
M    Oh! You mean version. (Initial relief...then realization that it is actually much easier to explain what a virgin is to a 4 year old then what the word version means.)

I muddled through some answer that I don't even remember to explain Sophie's version of some PBS characters she had drawn. Makes me laugh!


Conversation with Grace at bedtime:
G    If there was a singing contest you would be the winner!
M   Really?
G    You sing really beautiful.
M    Hmmm.
G    pause, big smile... Well, if we were the judges!

3 comments:

Denise said...

lol! love those awkward conversations. Had to teach the birth of Christ to the 8 year olds at church.

Had to explain that Mary was a virgin and got pregnant. And that Joseph had to decide whether or not to marry her anyways.

And if Heavenly Father is Jesus's real father, then what is Joseph?

oy vey.

Lindsey said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I would rather explain version than virgin to a 4 year-old and Gracie makes me laugh - wow!!! I love you guys!!! I miss you!

Cyndie said...

I love defining odd words for children!