My birthday present to myself this year was training for a triathlon which was supposed to be today. Instead we had lots and lots of rain, thunder, lightning and wind. No tornadoes...which is a good thing.
I am disappointed. But I have LOVED getting ready for this race. I am in better shape then I have been for a decade. I feel so good. I discovered that I ADORE riding my road bike, narrow, country roads and all. Luke and Noah learned that everyone has to do things in life that they don't like to do. For them that was going to our Y's kid room while I swam. I learned that my running will actually improve, not suffer, from spending time biking and swimming. I remembered how fun it is to tackle something that inspires and challenges me, and that it is ok to be scared in the process of learning new things. I figured out that if you act brave and strong, more bravery and strength come to you.
I have a new theme for myself from the New Testament...Fear not, only believe. I repeated it over and over last week trying to learn to swim in freezing cold lake water. I repeated it when I was working on getting over my fear of clipping my shoes into the pedals on my bike. I find myself now repeating it often in life when my fears run headlong into my faith.
I didn't know this triathlon journey would end up ultimately being a spiritual one, but I shouldn't be surprised. All good things in life really are. Instead of competing today I went on a solitary, wet and windy run. It was beautiful and amazing. (Did you know the hymn How Great Thou Art was written by a man walking home from church through a thunder storm? ) I felt great. The entire time I counted 40 years of blessings and help from the Lord. It was a perfect way to celebrate. Here is to many more years of joy in the journey.
9 comments:
I am so sorry about your tri getting cancelled - but thank you for this beautiful post! You are an incredible woman and I am so grateful that you are my sister and friend! You are beautiful and I love you! I hope you have a VERY happy birthday! P.S. How Great Thou Art is my favorite hymn!
Sorry - that was Lindsey on Dan's account!
Man, I am so bummed it got postponed! I was thinking about you all day, hoping you got to race. On the other hand, I am intrigued. Maybe I will race with you in September.
HUGE BUMMER!!! That really stinks. Is there another one soon that you can do? Sure it won't be so close to your birthday but all that training and you don't even get to race.
I have to say that I love your new mantra. I have struggled with a lot of fear lately also. I need to rely on the Lord more. I think I'm going to borrow it.
to our Jennie,
Your birth 40 years ago the 18th of April was one of our greatest blessings! many, many more! love, mom and dad
Jennie - you sound so much like me. I have to constantly tell myself to have greater belief and faith. This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. I love you and am so proud of you and your family. Dad
Jen, you are an inspiration to me and this post shows why. I too am blessed to be your sister. I love you!!
We never could catch you today, but I hope it was a great day! I'm thinking I should bow down to you right about now for all of your training. AMAZING. Are you ok in all of that rain?
And isn't it interesting how these journey's end up being spiritual? Usually because I need it!
xo
Really behind, didn't know you missed it. What a beautiful entry. You are so faithful.
Post a Comment