Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lost & Found

It seems that as soon as Jason leaves town lately things get really interesting around here. When we went to get ready for bed last night the lid to the gerbil cage was on the floor. Cutie Pie was dead in the cage and Sprinkles was no where to be found. Although the gerbil food and wheel were in the boys room they both swore NO ONE touched ANYTHING. The girls totally believed them and sadness turned into sobs of fear because either a robber or a ghost had to be responsible... mass hysteria ensued...

Thankfully Grace picked up her dead pet and put her in a box for our first backyard burial.

Sophie wrote the speech. The grave marker says, "The box under this tree has Cutie Pie Hardy in it. She has a joy in our heart." We went to bed all in my room with the door locked because the kids were so freaked out. I went to sleep convincing myself that there is NO WAY a gerbil could climb up into my bed.


This morning Grace was home from school with pink eye, Luke had a fever of 103 and I was desperately looking for the missing gerbil. I remembered my friend from church telling how their pet hamster got out and ruined the couch by chewing up the insides. Totally grossed out, I didn't know if I would rather find Sprinkles alive or dead. The silver lining was that rooms, closets and cupboards got completely cleaned... but no gerbil anywhere. Molly, our supposed terrier who was bred to find and kill rodents, decided it was a grand morning lay around napping and was no help at all.

After thoughts of exactly how stinky a dead rodent in my house would be, late in the afternoon I told the kids that I would pay $20 to anyone who could find the gerbil, dead or alive. Sophie promptly got a flashlight and looked under an overlooked piece of furniture. There was Sprinkles! Sophie cried the first tears of joy in her 7 year old life. While crying and laughing at the same time she told Grace that her gerbil would be both of theirs now.

After everything calmed down I asked the girls to say a prayer and thank Heavenly Father that they were able to find their pet. In unison then chimed that they already had. Together in their room these sweet girls had already offered a prayer of gratitude to a Father in Heaven they know loves them and is aware of their lives. Everything else today was suddenly so worth this one moment.

5 comments:

The Kroebers said...

YAY all around. I'm so glad you found the gerbil but even more glad for the prayer experience. That is the sweetest thing ever. How awesome for Sophie to get $20. My kids don't care about money yet. I'm mostly glad but sometimes wish they cared more like when I tell them that they are going to have to use their own money to replace something.

And We Sailed On said...

wow, that is a lot to have happen when Jason is gone. Those girls are awesome. They obvioiusly have been taught by a mom and dad who are good examples. I'm glad that they can share Sprinkles now. xoxo
E

Smith's Utah Understandings said...

I'm sorry that Jason was gone - just prepare for something to happened every time he has to leave! I'm sorry for Grace to lose her gerbil - I'm also thrilled at the girls prayer, and Sophie's eagerness to share Sprinkles with her sister. Life is Real, Great Grandpa Wood used to say - too real sometimes! love and hugs to all, Grandma Smith

Polly said...

What a wonderful experience in the end. I am sorry that Gracie lost her pet but it is a lesson we all have to learn. Good to know that it wasn't a ghost or a robber that caused the gerbil incident. WEIRD that it was the neighbor boy just hanging out at your house!!

Katydid said...

As Paul says, why does all the crap happen when I'm out of town! Yes, why does it. You are such a wonderful mother to teach about prayer so immediately. Thanks for the good lesson.