Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Learning from Failure

I was reading Segullah today and someone linked this article from wired.com in their comments. It is a fascinating report of a scientific study showing how some of our brains learn from failure. I thought it was really incredible. I also think it is exactly what the Savior teaches us. The point of life is not to avoid all failure, it is for our failures to instruct and humble us. When take a good look at people I want to emulate they are not perfect or without challenge in their lives. But they are incredibly positive, don't give up, can laugh at themselves and just keep getting up when they fall down...again...and again...and again. Christ's grace is a very real part of their self concept.

I am recommitted to helping my kids (and myself for that matter) strengthen our "growth mindsets".  Cheers!

http://m.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/10/why-do-some-people-learn-faster-2

2 comments:

And We Sailed On said...

that is awesome. Just keep showing up, right?

EM said...

I am one of the "smart" kids who doesn't like to fail. For reals, this was really good to read. I hope I can raise my boys to not be afraid to fail as long as they are learning and challenging themselves.