Thursday, January 26, 2012

so overdue...

On our way home to NC from Utah during the Holidays we stopped for a day in Nauvoo. It was New Year's day, sunny with a very, very cold wind. It was such a great break to be out of the car and we learned a lot. The temple is so beautiful. I am grateful our kids got to see so many large temples on this trip. The feeling of reverence for me seeing the house of the Lord does not fade.





One of the things we learned was that Brigham Young designed a wagon specifically for the saints.It was a more narrow wagon so the oxen would break trail for the wheels.

I felt such reverence and respect all day for my ancestors, genetically and spiritually. The middle of the winter is a great time to visit. We basically had the senior missionaries all to ourselves. We only saw a fraction of everything we wanted to, but had a great time.



 Luke asked me to take his picture with Jesus. I know my little point and shoot does not do justice recording our time in Nauvoo, but just looking at the pictures again reminds me of how I felt that day. Calm, happy, blessed, extremely grateful. It was a good start to the new year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,

My aunt and uncle are in Nauvoo on a mission. I wonder if you encountered them?

Marni

Smith's Utah Understandings said...

Wow - these pictures are great! Your ancestors on both parents sides lived in Nauvoo - most came west! A senior couple here served in Nauvoo and have such fun stories - makes me want to go these also. thanks for sharing - love, mom/grandma

And We Sailed On said...

I would love to visit there someday. I am so glad you had a break from that long drive!
E