We went camping last week at Hanging Rock State Park. It was cold. We have had such a warm spring and then the few days we camping were freezing! The woods in early spring are so beautiful though. We were mostly by ourselves which was relaxing. Worrying that your kids are being loud and bothering people camping 2 feet away from you is just not fun.
Jason and I are polar opposites when it comes to what to eat camping. I am the super fast and easy camp food person, like hot dogs just cooked on the fire. He is the super yummy, lots of work camp food person. Jason did food this time and we ate like kings. Jason brought dutch ovens and cooked delicious food the entire time.
The dogwoods and violets are all blooming. Violets in the woods always remind me of Granny and it makes me smile. It is still so amazing for us to see wild trees blooming all through the forest. A ranger also pointed out the first wild magnolia I had seen. It's blooms are not quite open yet, but was still so fun for me to find. He also taught me the difference between mountain laurel and wild azaleas, both of which will bloom in a month or so. Grace found salamanders in a small lake. The kids had never seen any before. Molly was super fun to have along and we had a great time.
I finally got all the laundry washed on Wednesday and we got home on Saturday. But it is worth it. I have so many happy memories of camping with my family and being taught to love the world around me as a child. It shaped so much of me, including my spirituality and my relationship to the Savior. I hope to follow my parents and do the same for my children. Making memories, building a foundation for my kids in the Lord one bit at a time.
5 comments:
Looks awesome! I love that Jason makes delux meals. That would make me want to go camping even more often than we do :) Hopefully we can camp together somewhere cool soon.
These pics are wonderful - the one with the waterfall and Molly is my favorite! Love all - mom
So beautiful! How about we plan a camping trip together and Jason is the cook? :) I agree, the work is worth the great memories but sometimes I have to keep reminding myself that. xo
E
My favorite picture is the one with all the little camping chairs lined up. :) Fun!
Let the record show that I am a huge fan of the way Jason cooks on camping trips. The only problem now is that I have been to the promised land and then I had to leave. I am afraid my camping experience will never be the same.
Post a Comment