View from our deck
The Bellamy Plantation in Wilmington, NC. It is not really a plantation, but a big fancy house. Those wrought iron gates were so beautiful! The magnolia trees are original, planted in the 1870's when the house was built. I can not put into words how much I love old trees. We learned a lot about the Bellamy family and also their slaves. It was fascinating and heartbreaking. The house has marble thresholds at the doors. The ones used by slaves were worn down concave, the others showed no sign of use at all.
We also toured an actual peanut plantation called Poplar Grove. It was less fancy, just as interesting.
Poplar Grove stayed in the family until the 1970's. It was full of original furnishings, linens, clothes and toys. These books and quilts were just so amazing to me.
USS North Carolina, battle ship retired right after WWII
We have toured quite a few ships, yes I dearly love my husband. This is definitely the best one. Because the NC was retired right after the war (battleships became obsolete with the creation of carriers) it is just like it was in service in the 1940's. Plus there are tons of original stories, experiences and memories from actual sailors that made it more interesting for me.
4 comments:
Isn't your anniversary the 25th? Looks like lots of fun.
So fun!!! You guys have been married for half of my life - crazy!!!
Your wedding is one of my favorite memories. I thought everything was beautiful, plus I was so happy my "old maid" sister was finally getting married :) Hilarious! Glad you had a good trip and super glad you and Jason found each other.
congrats on 15 years! that looks like a great trip, it is so beautiful there.
E
Post a Comment