I love fairy tales. From a young age I have devoured books of fairy tales. I still read a lot of modern retellings and adaptations of them. That said, I am no fan of Disney's versions. Even as a young girl, I was just not a Disney fan. The big boobed, soft voiced, sweet and kind female character is always the same. They are not real women. They also tend to be the only women in the film, besides evil and ugly women villains. I could go on, but I won't.
Now as a mother, I have a daughter who adores all things Ariel. Disney's version of The Little Mermaid became a part of our lives from the moment my purple loving daughter saw her first picture of a mermaid dressed in sparkly purple. I don't make an huge issue about it.
The blatant sexuality and commercialism of Ariel, and all Disney princesses, makes me very uncomfortable. Is she a movie character for young girls or creepy middle aged men? I read in a book once where they compared her arched back poses in Disney's movie to Victoria's Secret adds. You have to admit, it is the identical pose. The plot of the actual fairy tale is not very empowering to women either. The Little Mermaid actually gives her voice and life away to try to make a man love her.
So, we are driving a few days ago and my kids are listening to a CD of fairy tales. This version of The Little Mermaid is relatively mild but the heroine does die at the end of the story because the prince marries someone else. As we were listening Sophie says, "I think Ariel is dumb." I didn't think I'd heard her right and I asked her what she meant. She said, "Ariel made the wrong choice." You have to remember, Sophie is only 4 so I again asked what she meant. She explained, "Ariel gave away her voice. I think Prince Eric would like her just the way she is."
I told Sophie that I agreed with her and let her finish listening to the story. Inside I was turning cartwheels of joy. I just pray she can keep doing at 14 what she has begun at 4.
2 comments:
That's awesome! I love your kids so much. Happy Halloween!
I wanted to comment a long time ago. Hurraay. Huraay. Good for you and your girls. You have really amazing, strong girls. (now that this is private I don't have to worry about spelling, do I?)
Post a Comment