Monday, April 27, 2009

Southern Cooking

I have a great friend here who was raised in NC. She blessed her baby yesterday and we went to their house after for the family dinner. It was fun and the food was an experience! The BBQ and salads were delicious. The deserts were to die for, homemade pecan pie and strawberry cake. Who even knew there was such a thing as strawberry cake that doesn't come out of a box and actually tastes divine?

All vegetable dishes were unrecognizable. They were basically butter and salt with some limp WAY overcooked corn or beans thrown in. The mashed potatoes had so much cheese in them that my kids wouldn't eat them. I had no idea asparagus could be the texture of spaghetti. And then there was a dish of turnips. Being an adventurous eater I took a few. Jason unfortunately took several. Our friend's grandma was standing right there and commenting on how no one was eating her turnips. She stood and talked with Jason while he ate. There was a reason no one was eating the turnips!!! I had no idea a vegetable could be so disgusting! Sweet, bitter and spicy hot all at the same time. Of course butter was not masking this taste and Jason had a whole serving to eat right in front of Grandma. On the way home he told me they were so bad that he threw up a little in his mouth as he was trying to get them down.

I did have a heads up to this episode. My friend's SIL came to St. George to help them move back to NC. A family in their ward had them over for dinner and she took one bite of the broccoli and told the hostess that she had forgotten to cook the veggies. No wallflowers in this family!

3 comments:

Polly said...

Does it still count as a veggie if it's cooked into mush and drowned in butter? The Strawberry Cake sound heavenly!! Way to go Jason taking one for the turnip team!! You probably made Grandma's day!!

EM said...

I always think that Ben overcooks the veggies when he makes them. Maybe his time in NC as a child did something to him :)

Katydid said...

Ummm yum, we have had southern cooking in Memphis..yikes the grease!