Monday, February 1, 2010

An Auspicious Day


On February 1, 1960 4 freshmen from North Carolina A&T sat down at the lunch counter of the Greensboro Woolworths and asked to be served. Ezell Blair Jr., David Richmond, Joseph McNeil and Franklin McCain sat and studied quietly all day, then came back the next and the next and for many more days. Soon hundreds of other students were joining them in Greensboro, then in other cities in North Carolina and across the south.

Greensboro's sit in was not technically the first in our country, but it is important in history for the huge momentum it gave to the civil rights movement. For 15 years some in Greensboro have been working on creating a museum to honor these men and our civil rights history. Today it finally opened. It is a good day for our city.

2 comments:

And We Sailed On said...

That is so neat! Have you read 'The Help'? I finished it recently and LOVED it. I felt so under-educated about everything and it gave me much to consider.

Katydid said...

I love it. We shared those stories with our children for FHE on MLK day. Powerful stuff.