Sunday, February 7, 2010

It was a dark and stormy night...

We have had a lot of stormy weather here in NC for the past week. My kids went to 1 half day of school last week because of ice and snow. On Friday we had another snow/ice/rain storm. Our power was off for 3 hours or so in the afternoon and then it went off again just as I was getting ready to leave Friday night for my book club. I was suffering from a severe case of cabin fever and SO wanted to go. The roads were just wet, so off I went.

Everything was uneventful until my drive home. I got within 100 yards of the entrance to my neighborhood and found an enormous tree had fallen across the road. There is only one entrance to use so I could wait, for who knows how long, or I could brave the DARK, narrow, winding country roads out here to go around and get to our road from the other direction. Of course I am not patient and take off into the wind and rain. It took about twice as long as I thought it would and I was really nervous at one point because I thought I was completely lost. It is so lonely and dark out here and of course my imagination was feeding me all sorts of interesting scariness. I did pass a few farm houses, but they didn't have power and were completely dark. I found out my GPS was out of battery and the cord was missing. I said a prayer, kept going, and finally found a landmark! One u-turn and I was back on track.

So I finally make it to our road coming from the other direction only to find...ANOTHER fallen tree blocking the road!

I only had to wait about 10 minutes though. A crew was already there cleaning it up.

5 comments:

And We Sailed On said...

yikes! Way to be brave! Book club is worth it though, right! :) What did you read?

Denise said...

i'm glad you made it. that does sound scary...and I am such a chicken!

and btw...snow cream was inspired by reading your blog!

EM said...

That is pretty freaky. It's amazing how your mind can remember every scary movie or thought or idea when you are alone and lost in the dark! Glad you're safe.

Anonymous said...

We read A Thousand Splendid Suns. I loved it. It is a bit of a dark read but ends so hopeful and is beautifully written.

Polly said...

Jen, you are SO brave to face SC roads in the dark, with no GPS!! Em is right, when you are alone in the dark EVERY scary story you have ever heard comes to your mind!! I hate sitting and waiting though so I probably would have done the same thing!! Glad you made it home safe!!